UW-Eau Claire alumni John and Carolyn Sonnentag had a vision: A new events center to serve UW-Eau Claire and the surrounding community that could accommodate larger-scale events than what can currently be held in available area venues.
That vision is now taking shape, thanks to a generous commitment of $10 million in land and money through the Sonnentags' philanthropic foundation to the Blugold Real Estate Foundation (a supporting organization of the UW-Eau Claire Foundation) in August 2014. Learn more about the Sonnentags' gift and the plans underway for the Sonnentag Event and Recreation Complex.
The site of the Sonnentag Complex will be on Menomonie Street in Eau Claire, along the Chippewa River, on the former site of John and Carolyn Sonnentag's family-owned business, County Materials Corp., as well as land formerly occupied by Student Transit-Eau Claire Inc. and Fabick Cat.
As currently envisioned, the complex will include:
- a major event facility with projected capacity between 5,000 and 6,700 people;
- UW-Eau Claire wellness and recreation facilities;
- four sport courts suitable for basketball, volleyball, etc.;
- a Mayo Clinic Health System clinical location offering sports medicine, human performance enhancement, and imaging services;
- a 50-60 yard artificially-turfed fieldhouse;
- a public park spanning the distance between Menomonie Street and the Chippewa River;
- surface parking to serve the entire complex, including electric vehicle charging stations; and
- land suitable for complex expansion or development of private businesses that could complement and serve activities at the event and recreation complex.
How can you get involved?
To find out how you can be part of this exciting project and the available naming opportunities, please contact Kimera Way, president, UW-Eau Claire Foundation, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-836-5180.
Header photo caption: Then-UW-Eau Claire Alumni Board Chair Michael Strubel, left, and Chancellor Jim Schmidt present Carolyn (’67) and John Sonnentag (’66) with the Lifetime Excelllence Award.