The theatre arts program puts on four mainstage productions each year, including either a musical or opera, and a one-act play festival. The program prides itself on the student-generated work at all levels from production to direction.
Investing in Theatre Arts
The study of theatre arts at UW-Eau Claire provides students with an outstanding liberal arts education and fosters the development and appreciation of theatre as a significant art form. Fundamentally, theatre arts itself provides an unusually effective liberal arts education because of its intense study of past cultures and its emphasis on the development of the imagination and the effective communication of ideas. Further, the department is dedicated to young theatre artists who wish to fulfill their talent, while at the same time relating their studies to a broader liberal arts education available at UW-Eau Claire.
Classroom projects, workshop productions, and mainstage plays are principally selected because of their educational value for students on campus. Many students participate as theatre majors and minors; others participate in theatre as an important complement to their major area of study, such as music and art. Still, others simply get involved for the pure joy and fun that comes from partaking in the art form.
Support the general needs theatre arts program with a gift of any amount to the Theatre Arts Advancement Fund, which is used to meet the needs of the department that cannot be met by the state-assisted university operating budget. The fund enables the department to take advantage of opportunities to advance its cause.
The amount in parentheses indicates the annual amount required to meet current obligations:
- Existing theatre and dance scholarships (gifts of any amount).
- A new scholarship of your choice (minimum of $500 annual, $15,000 to endow).
- Plays for the student theatrical library (any amount).
- Power tools and supplies for the scenic shops (any amount).
- Lighting instruments for the three theatres ($2,000 per instrument).
- Faculty and student travel to conferences and performances ($250).
- A portable sprung floor for dance students ($15,000).
- The Department of Music and Theatre Arts Advancement Fund (gifts of any amount).
Thank you for considering a gift to benefit UW-Eau Claire's theatre arts programs.
I love being part of a department where everyone knows your name. Not only do I get to learn, perform, create and teach my passion of theatre, but I get to do it with some of the closest friends that I've made over the years.